October, 1,1997
Moss Beach, California, USA

Today sucked! I paddled for eight hours non-stop against a 20 knot head-wind. I’m now in John Dixon’s house and he is making supper for Mike, Mike’s dad and me. Here's what happened today...

After only four hours sleep, I left the beach at around 8am, with Ken, and Mike Higgins at my side. Crossing under the Golden Gate Bridge was hell. The tide was flooding in, and it took every scrap of energy to keep from being pushed back into the Bay. After a half hour of fighting desparately, the current subsided and we were able to catch our breath. With the worst part over, Ken decided he would leave Mike and I to our own devices, and return to the put-in. Before heading back, he paddled over and gave me a big brotherly hug, and I thanked him for his hospitality.

The wind didn’t let up all day. At times it blew so hard, I got so mad that I had to holler to let out my frustration. My only relief the whole day was to watch a hang glider sore high above us from a hill top.

The kayak Mike was using was not his own, and it was giving him severe leg cramps, so he decided to head in at the first opportunity. We had already paddled for eight hours and only gotten 13 miles, so I was more than ready to head in myself. Mike capsized on his way in, and had a messy landing. Not wanting the same fate... I carefully watched my timing between sets of waves and got in with little trouble.

Fortunately, Mike’s father was waiting for us on the beach, and within an hour of landing we had our two kayaks on top of Mike’s van and we were on the road to John Dixon’s house, where I had planned to spend the night. John is a good friend of Mike, and Ken, and is a member of the Tsunami Rangers: among the best sea kayakers on the west coast. He made us a delicious meal, then, after supper, Mike and his dad headed home, and John and I watched Tsunami Ranger videos. Also this evening, as expected, I got a call from Kevin Lillestol, the Hollywood dude. He dropped-in on his way to San Francisco, and we discussed the prospect of making a television documentery of my journery. He talked about having a chase vehicle follow me by land. I didn’t like the sound of that idea. If I had a camera crew waiting for me on the beach every evening, it would take a lot of the adventure out of the avdenture. Finding the funds to make it happen is also going to take a lot of work. I think there’s a good chance it’s not going to happen. Kevin is staying here for the night.